Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Michelle Ward's Street Team Challenge 35


Well, this is the story: as a child I always fantasized how wonderful it must be to write books like monks did in monasteries. With a feather with a sharp point and a little inkpot, standing at a desk.
I began working in a big bookshop and realized that the printingpresses made writing by hand a hobby. Books have been always very important for me and the rest of my family. I met my husband in the bookshop. Later I became a librarian and I am still working in a library, my husband is publisher and my daughter just published her first book. My children, grown up now, are also booklovers. During the holidays I have been often in Ireland and I am very enthousiastic about the Book of Kells in Dublin's Trinity College. Written by hand, with so many fantastic illustrations. This book represents for me all my childhood dreams and good memories of holidays in beautiful Ireland and last but not least the area were I work in.
Making this challenge made me realize that I finally do what I dreamt of as a child: I make books by hand and fill them with my own signs. So this is my ode to the Book of Kells, a book full of signs.
For those interested:
http://www.bookofkells.ie/

11 comments:

  1. Helen, what a terrific vibrant payered page! Love reading your story, and learning more about you, your family, and your interests. How cool you are all connected to books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful wonderful story to go along with your beautiful art. i also lovve your soul journal from previous post. thank you for your kind message on my blog. i shall be peeking over here to see whats new. warmly, wanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. How vibrant and stunning, with the Celtic images, I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is beautiful! I love the colors, the rich layering, the story that goes with it. I can't wait to check out your whole blog and see more of your work. So glad you joined the Crusade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this - as a librarian I appreciate your love of words and books. When Mum found her half-brother at the age of about 66 once of the first things he gave her was a book about the Book of Kells, so it has even more signficance to me. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I LOVE what you have done on this page! I've not heard of the Book of Kells... will look into it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful book page Helen! I love all the tiny squares and the beautiful symbols. I am so happy for you that you all love books. I, too, am an avid reader! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great journal page, you really are connected to books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an interesting concept! Thank you for introducing me to something completely new and different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such an awesome story but your journal spread has got to be even better. Love it! ~xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so wonderful! I love the colors. Thanks for commentingi on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails